i would have to agree with the other post. I added more cheddar and hot pepper flakes, and it was still bland. I usually love pasta with spinach but I would not make this again. It even looked unappealing with its milky-ish sauce. I'll stick with my other macaroni and cheese recipes.
Mac and Cheese Florentine
Add spinach and fresh breadcrumbs to macaroni and cheese for a meal that provides half of your daily calcium needs. You can vary this by using a different short pasta, such as mini penne or radiatore, and changing the cheese to gouda, Monterey Jack, or provolone.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 482
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated fat: 7.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 22.6g
- Carbohydrate: 66.9g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 975mg
- Calcium: 502mg
- 1/2 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup frozen chopped leaf spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 1 cup uncooked)
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/4 cup. Combine breadcrumbs and butter, stirring to coat.
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add spinach, juice, nutmeg, and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add milk mixture to spinach mixture, stirring constantly; bring to a boil. Add cheese, salt, and pepper; cook 30 seconds or until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in pasta. Spoon the mixture into a 1-quart soufflé dish coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with breadcrumb mixture.
- Broil for 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note