Mac and Cheese with Carmelized Onion
Community Recipe from
- 1 tablespoon(s) EVOO
- 3 whole(s) onions sliced
- 1 dash(es) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 8 strip(s) bacon
- 8 ounce(s) elbow pasta
- 2/3 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1/3 cup(s) to 2/3 cup milk (or more – for more or less creaminess)
- 1 cup(s) freshly shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) grated gruyere
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 dash(es) cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch(s) paprika
- To caramelize onions: heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on high heat in a large skillet, when oil is heated, add sliced onions and cook on high heat for about 10 minutes, constantly stirring with spatula. The onions should start to brown, but without burning (a couple of onions may be burnt here and there, but overall they should not be charred). Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking onions for 10 more minutes, continuing to stir, as onions brown even more without burning. At this point add just a pinch of salt over onions. Continue cooking for 10 more minutes on medium or low heat, stirring occasionally to make sure onions don’t stick to the bottom of the pan or burn. Total you should have cooked onions for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle onions with a small amount of balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan. Using spatula, mix the onions, scraping the bottom of the pan and coating onions with a pinch of balsamic vinegar you just added.
- While you’re caramelizing the onions, cook bacon and chop into small pieces.
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package instructions. Rinse the macaroni under cold running water, drain. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add heavy cream, milk, sharp white cheddar cheese, Gruyere cheese and 1/4 teaspoon salt on medium heat, stir and mix, until cheeses start to blend. Add black pepper, Cayenne pepper and paprika to your taste. Add elbow macaroni to the creamy sauce, stir to coat on low heat for about 5-10 minutes until cheeses melt completely and coat the macaroni.
- Add caramelized onions and chopped bacon to the creamy macaroni.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Drag0nWing and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Mac and Cheese with Carmelized Onion Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes