I make this easy and fabulous recipe twice a month or more. I used stir-fry- ready rice noodles instead of brown rice today. Since we don't eat pork, I substitute ground turkey. I too increased the chile/garlic sauce for extra zing
Ma Po Tofu
This recipe for ma po tofu, a Chinese stir-fry, is simple to make and good for you, too. Add a side of chilled melon and a cold glass of dry riesling for a satisfying supper.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 290
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Protein: 21.5g
- Carbohydrate: 32.5g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 390mg
- Calcium: 72mg
- 1 (1-pound) package reduced-fat firm tofu, cut into 6 slices
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 4 ounces lean ground pork
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Place a dinner plate on top of covered tofu; let stand 30 minutes. Remove plate; discard paper towels. Cut tofu slices into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Combine broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili garlic sauce, stirring with a whisk.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 4 minutes or until done, stirring to crumble. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tofu; cook 4 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add broth mixture to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
- Serve tofu mixture over rice. Sprinkle with onions.
In addition to tofu's potential health benefits for women, it may also help protect against prostate cancer. Depending on how much chili garlic sauce you use, you can customize the heat in this mix of lean ground pork, tofu, and Asian spices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes