- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 1 (8 1/2-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded colby-Jack cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
How to Make It
Stir together first 10 ingredients in a bowl; stir in jalapeño pepper, if desired.
Coat bottom and sides of a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon drippings. Heat in a 450° oven 5 minutes. Pour cornbread batter into hot skillet.
Bake at 450° for 20 to 25 minutes or until cornbread is lightly browned.