My husband loves soup, so he made this for dinner last night. It was excellent, very flavorful.Topped it with fresh chives and sour cream. Also sprinkled with croutons which added a bit of crunch to it. Used fat-free half-and-half. Will definitely make again. Great for a weeknight meal.
Lyda's Cream of Carrot Soup
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1-lb.) package baby carrots, chopped
- 1 (1-lb.) package parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 (32-oz.) containers chicken broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/3 cup half-and-half (optional)
- Toppings: sour cream, chopped fresh chives, freshly ground pepper
- 1. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add carrots and next 4 ingredients; sauté 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring often, 20 minutes. Stir in rice, and cook, stirring often, 18 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Remove from heat. Process mixture with a handheld blender until smooth. Stir in half-and-half, if desired. Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews