- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 3 cups milk, scalded
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon; reserve 2 tablespoons of the drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Combine cornmeal and milk in a large mixing bowl; stir until mixture is the consistency of mush. Add bacon, onion, green pepper, and reserved bacon drippings, stirring well.
- Beat egg yolks well; stir egg yolks and cheese into warm mixture.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; fold into cornmeal mixture. Spoon batter into 6 lightly greased 10-ounce custard cups. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This