- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup cold strong brewed coffee
- Red hot cinnamon candies
- Green maraschino cherries, cut into strips
How to Make It
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating well. Beat in eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cloves 4 times. Stir into creamed mixture alternately with coffee, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Cover and chill overnight.
Divide dough into fourths. Work with one portion of dough at a time, keeping remaining dough chilled until ready to use. Roll to 1/3-inch thickness on a heavily floured surface. Cut with a clover leaf cutter.
Place 1 inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Place 3 cinnamon candies in center of each cookie; place a cherry strip in center as a stem. Bake at 450° for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets, and cool on wire racks. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.