- 1 pound unpeeled, large raw shrimp (3 1/35 count)
- 1 cup diced smoked sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 4 large plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- 2 cups chicken or shrimp broth
- 1 cup sliced fresh okra
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Garnish: grilled halved okra
How to Make It
Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
Cook sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove sausage, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Melt butter in drippings. Stir in onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add celery, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.
Stir in shrimp, sausage, and okra; cook 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and next 4 ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over hot cooked rice; top with green onions. Garnish, if desired.
Note: We tested with Conecuh Hickory Smoked Sausage.