Lowcountry Gazpacho with Seasoned Shrimp and Quick Pickled Okra
For a twist on the spicy, cold soup, try Lowcountry Gazpacho with Seasoned Shrimp and Quick Pickled Okra from Hank's Seafood Restaurant in Charleston. This Lowcountry Gazpacho provides a much more colorful meal than your typical recipe. Feel free to omit the okra if you wish.
More From Coastal Living
Chill: 4 Hours
Total: 5 Hours, 33 Minutes
- 8 to 10 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 10 cups)
- 2 ears corn, shucked and kernels cut off cobs
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 green tomatoes, diced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 Quick Pickled Okra, halved (optional)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups liquid from Quick Pickled Okra or apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Seasoned Shrimp
- 1. Place tomatoes in a mixing bowl; mix on low speed 5 minutes or until tomatoes render their juices. Place a strainer over a bowl; line strainer with a couple layers of cheesecloth, and add chopped tomatoes. Refrigerate several hours, stirring occasionally and allowing the clear liquid to settle at the bottom (about 3 cups). Discard tomato pulp.
- 2. Combine corn, next 7 ingredients, and Quick Pickled Okra, if desired, in a large bowl. Stir in tomato liquid, olive oil, and liquid from Quick Pickled Okra. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls; top with Seasoned Shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note