Low Fat Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens The leftovers are also great reheated and wrapped in a tortilla!
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped onion (1 med)
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 package(s) chicken rice-vermicelli mix
- 14 ounce(s) can chicken broth
- 2 cup(s) water
- 2 cup(s) chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 cup(s) chopped, seeded tomato
- 3 tablespoon(s) canned, diced green chile pepper, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in rice and vermicelli mix (including seasoning package); cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).
- 2. Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomato, chile peppers, chili powder, basil, cumin and black pepper. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish.
- 3. Bake, covered, in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by cslugocki and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Low Fat Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes