Not sure why this has not been rated? I couldn't make up my mind 4 or 5 stars. This is an excellent dish! It does take some time to prepare though. Make sure you use fresh herbs if at all possible. I use 1lb. of crawfish, oysters and crab meat because they come in 1 lb. containers. Rich creamy, delicious...served over rice.
Low-fat Shellfish Gumbo
Yield: 14 cups
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 8 3/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound light Cajun sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh sliced okra
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/2 pound crawfish tails, rinsed
- 1 (12-ounce) container fresh oysters, undrained
- Hot cooked rice
- Place flour in a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a dark golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes. Set aside; cool.
- Peel shrimp, reserving shells; devein, if desired. Set meat aside.
- Combine shrimp shells and 5 1/2 cups chicken broth in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding shells. Keep broth warm.
- Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray; add onion and next 3 ingredients, and sauté until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add sausage, and sauté 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and 5 1/2 cups warm broth, and stir well.
- Spoon browned flour into a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth. Add to broth mixture, and simmer 1 hour, skimming as necessary. Add remaining 1 3/4 cups chicken broth, salt, and next 6 ingredients; simmer 5 minutes or until okra is tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Drain crabmeat, removing any bits of shell. Add crabmeat, shrimp, crawfish, and oysters to gumbo; return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and edges of oysters begin to curl. Serve over hot rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews