This turned out great. I used a mix of colby jack and reduced fat cheddar since that is what I had. I also reduced the milk to 2 1/4 cups since the picture looked a little soupy, and I thought that worked out great. I also used whole wheat mini shells. I will definitely make this one again.
Low-Fat Mac and Cheese with Peas
Yield: 4 Servings
Cost per Serving: $1.26
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 561
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Protein: 37g
- Carbohydrate: 78g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 1mg
- 3 cups uncooked small macaroni
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 3/4 cups low-fat (2%) milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (10 oz.) box frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups (8 oz.) low-fat Cheddar
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and stir in macaroni. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente. Drain in a colander and shake well.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir together milk and cornstarch in a large cup; whisk into pot with onion and cook, whisking, until boiling. Continue to cook, whisking, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in peas and salt.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce and stir well. Sprinkle Cheddar and Parmesan on top and toss well. Season with pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note