Low-Fat Jalapeño Poppers
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 28
- Calories from fat: 9.6%
- Protein: 1.5g
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 4.8g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 79mg
- Cholesterol: 1.2mg
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) fat-free cream cheese or neufchatel (light) cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- About 3/4 pound fresh jalapeño chilies (14 or 15, equal-size), rinsed
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1. In a bowl, use a fork to blend cream cheese, garlic, onions, cheddar cheese, and lime juice.
- 2. Wearing rubber gloves, cut chilies in half lengthwise. With a knife, cut seed lump from beneath the stem inside each chili, leaving stem end in place (to form a cup). Pull out and discard veins. Fill chili halves equally with cheese mixture, spreading surface smooth.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until slightly frothy. Put cornflake crumbs in another small bowl. Dip filled chili halves, 1 at a time, in egg whites, then roll in crumbs. Set chilies slightly apart on a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet, filling the sheet.
- 4. Bake in a 350° oven until crumbs are slightly darker brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
- Nutritional analysis per piece.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers