- 2 quarts (2 1/2 lb.) regular rolled oats
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unprocessed bran (optional)
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chopped dried apples, apricots, peaches, pears, or prunes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- calories 297
- caloriesfromfat 18 %
- protein 8.7 g
- fat 6 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- carbohydrate 53 g
- fiber 5.7 g
- sodium 9.9 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Place half the oats, sugar, and bran in each of 2 baking pans, 10 by 15 inches. With your hands, crumble sugar and mix ingredients well.
In a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, stir oil, honey, and vanilla until bubbly. Pour half the hot mixture into each baking pan and mix well.
Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven. After 10 minutes, stir granola mixture. If using 1 oven, switch pan positions. Continue baking until oats are lightly toasted, about 10 minutes more.
Stir in dried fruit, cranberries, and crystallized ginger, breaking up any clumps. Bake until oats are crisp, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Stir. Let cool 5 minutes and stir again. When cool, serve or store in an airtight container up to 1 month.
Nutritional analysis per 3/4 cup.