My boys actually ate it all without a fight. That's a keeper to me.
(Low-Fat) Chicken Chili
Chili can be cheaper when you make it with ground chicken instead of ground beef. And this chili is great for a last-minute supper because all the ingredients are items that you can keep on hand in either the freezer or pantry.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 221
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 28g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Sodium: 881mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 pounds ground chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Mexican-style hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (1 lb.) bag frozen bell-pepper strips, thawed
- 1 (15 oz.) can small red beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded cheese, optional
- Chopped scallions, optional
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp. oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add chicken and salt to pan. Cook chicken, stirring to break up meat, until it is crumbly and no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add remaining oil, garlic, onion, chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring often until onion is tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in pepper strips and beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick, about 10 minutes. Return chicken and any of its juices to saucepan and cook for 1 minute to heat through.
- Serve with cheese, scallions and tortilla chips, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note