Low Country Roast Squab With Rice Pilau
- 4 squabs
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 (10 3/4-ounce) cans chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Remove giblets from squabs; reserve for other uses. Rinse squabs with cold water; pat dry.
- Combine butter, onion, celery, and green pepper in a large skillet; sauté until vegetables are tender, and set aside.
- Place chicken broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and broth is absorbed. Remove from heat. Add sautéed vegetables to the rice; stir well. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Stuff squabs with rice mixture (about 2/3 cup per squab). Place remaining rice mixture in a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2- inch baking dish. Arrange stuffed squabs on top of rice mixture. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note