- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen cut okra, thawed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 cups water
- 4 cups cubed, fully cooked ham
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (12-ounce) container Standard oysters, drained
- Hot cooked rice
How to Make It
Sauté okra and onion in oil in a large Dutch oven until tender and lightly browned. Add next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour. Stir in shrimp and oysters; cook, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Serve gumbo over hot cooked rice in individual bowls.