- 8 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples such as Gravenstein, Granny Smith, or Stayman Winesap (about 2 1/4 lb. total)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached or regular all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- calories 404
- caloriesfromfat 38 %
- protein 3.8 g
- fat 17 g
- satfat 7 g
- carbohydrate 62 g
- fiber 3.7 g
- sodium 112 mg
- cholesterol 28 mg
How to Make It
In a 9-inch square baking dish or shallow 1 1/2- to 2-quart casserole, mix apples with granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon.
In a bowl, combine rolled oats, brown sugar, butter, and 3/4 cup flour. Rub with your fingers until butter pieces are no longer distinguishable. Stir in chopped pecans. Sprinkle topping evenly over apples.
Bake dessert in the middle of a 350° oven until apples are tender when pierced and topping is browned, 45 minutes to 1 hour. If topping browns first, drape with foil.
Spoon the apple crisp, warm or cool, into bowls. Top portions with vanilla ice cream.