Lonny's Oyster Stew
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 539
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 39g
- Saturated fat: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sodium: 556mg
- Cholesterol: 178mg
- 1/4 pound pancetta or bacon
- 2 leeks (3/4 in. thick), white parts only
- 2 heads (3 in. wide) fennel
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 6 cups half-and-half (light cream) or 2% milk
- 3 jars (10 oz. each) shucked oysters and their liquor (4 cups total)
- 3/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon Pernod, Sambuca, or other anise-flavor liqueur (not sweet)
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1. Cut pancetta into 1/4-inch dice. Put in a 5- to 6-quart pan.
- 2. Trim and discard root ends from leeks, then rinse well and chop.
- 3. Trim and discard tops, root ends, and bruised spots from fennel, then rinse and chop.
- 4. Add leeks, fennel, and fennel seed to pancetta and stir often over medium-high heat until limp but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- 5. Add cream and oysters and their liquor and turn heat to medium-high. Stir often just until soup is hot but not boiling, about 4 minutes.
- 6. Stir in 1/2 cup parsley, liqueur, and pepper and salt to taste.
- 7. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle equally with remaining parsley, then add a dot of butter to each.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note