This is the best lime pie ever. Even people who think they don't like lime pie love this.
Long Beach Lime Pies
Photo: Shelly Strazis; Styling: Valerie Aikman-Smith
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 388
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 7.7g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 225mg
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 large egg yolks plus 4 large eggs
- Zest of 8 Mexican limes* or 4 regular limes, plus more for garnish
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/3 cups Mexican or regular lime juice (from 2 lbs. fruit)
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican crema* or regular sour cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, butter, and 1/2 cup sugar. Press over bottom and sides of 2 (9-in.) pie pans. Bake until pale golden, 5 minutes. If crusts shrink, gently push up with sides of a fork. Let cool.
- 2. Beat yolks, zest, and milk in a bowl with a mixer on high speed until thick, 5 minutes. Beat in whole eggs and lime juice just to blend. Divide mixture between crusts.
- 3. Bake pies until filling no longer jiggles when pies are gently shaken, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on racks. Cover and chill at least 1 1/2 hours.
- 4. Beat crema and remaining 3 tbsp. sugar in a bowl with a mixer on high speed until thick, about 3 minutes. Spread over pies, swirling topping. Scatter more lime zest on top.
- *Buy at a grocery store or Latino market.
- Make ahead: Up to 1 day through step 3, covered. Add topping up to 4 hours before serving and chill, uncovered.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Allow 3 1/2 hours to cool and chill.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts