- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallots, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 pounds top round steak, trimmed
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted beef stock (such as Swanson), divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- calories 273
- fat 14.7 g
- satfat 5.7 g
- monofat 6.6 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 29 g
- carbohydrate 6 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 85 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 463 mg
- calcium 40 mg
How to Make It
Combine 1/2 cup shallots, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and thyme in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add beef, turning to coat. Refrigerate 3 1/2 hours, turning occasionally. Let beef mixture stand at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking.
Preheat broiler to high. Place oven rack 4 inches from broiler.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 1/4 cup shallots, remaining 1 tablespoon garlic, and mushrooms to pan; cook 10 minutes or until mushrooms are browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Combine 1/4 cup stock and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture and remaining 1 1/4 cups stock to pan; simmer 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove pan from heat; stir in butter and soy sauce. Keep warm.
Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Wipe any marinade from beef with a paper towel. Sprinkle beef with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place a wire rack on a jelly-roll pan. Add beef to rack. Broil 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare or until desired degree of doneness. Place beef on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices. Serve with mushroom mixture.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.