- 2 whole striped bass or rockfish (1 1/2 to 2 lbs. each), cleaned and scaled
- 16 thyme sprigs
- 12 dill sprigs
- 2 dried or fresh bay leaves
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 12 warm corn tortillas
- Tomatillo salsa
- About 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- About 1/2 cup chopped Roma tomatoes
- About 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
How to Make It
Rinse fish and pat dry; stuff cavities with thyme, dill, bay leaves, and garlic. Rub outside of fish with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place fish on a grill over a solid bed of medium-hot coals or on a gas grill set at medium-high (you can hold your hand at grill level only 3 to 4 seconds); close lid on gas grill.
Cook, turning once with a wide spatula, until fish is opaque but still moist-looking in thickest part (cut to test), 18 to 20 minutes total. Transfer to a serving platter.
To assemble each taco, stack 2 tortillas; top with chunks pulled from fish, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, and cilantro. Squeeze lime over filling, fold tortillas, and eat.