Lobster-and-Corn Chowder with Roasted-Red-Pepper Cream
- 6 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 6 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 (2- to 2 1/2-pound) live lobsters
- 10 cup water
- 8 smoked bacon slices, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound new potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil
- Roasted-Red-Pepper Cream
- Coat food rack with cooking spray; place on grill over medium-hot coals. Place corn on rack, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Cool; cut off kernels, and set aside, reserving cobs.
- Bring 6 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Plunge lobsters, headfirst, into boiling water; return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes for the first pound and 3 minutes for each additional pound. Remove lobsters with tongs. Remove meat from claws and tails; set meat aside.
- Place corn cobs and 10 cups water in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Discard corn cobs; pour liquid through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large container, discarding solids. Set liquid aside.
- Cook bacon in a large stockpot until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Set bacon aside.
- Sauté onion in hot drippings 5 minutes or until tender. Add reserved liquid and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in corn, lobster meat, milk, and next 3 ingredients; cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until mixture almost boils. Remove from heat; stir in basil. Top each serving with bacon and Roasted-Red-Pepper Cream. Serve with crackers, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This