this was good and easy to make for a weeknight. I think peeling and boiling the potatoes would be easier the next time. But the family loved it and with a little salt it was delicious!
Loaded Potato Soup
More From Cooking Light
Total: 20 Minutes
- Calories: 325
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 43.8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 670mg
- Calcium: 261mg
- 4 (6-ounce) red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup prechopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bacon slices, halved
- 1.5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
- 2. While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; stir often. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- 3. Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Crumble bacon.
- 4. Discard potato skins. Coarsely mash potatoes into soup. Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.
This recipe originally ran in Cooking Light October, 2010 and was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This