My family really enjoys this soup -- even my teenage son who doesn't like soup in general. We add a little garlic with the potatoes and onion in the slow cooker. I do not have an immersion blender, but I have used my hand held mixer to blend it up quickly instead of the potato masher.
Loaded Potato Soup
Photo: Lee Harrelson; Styling: Mindi Shapiro
More From Southern Living
- 4 pounds new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint half-and-half
- Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, green onion slices
- Layer sliced potatoes in a lightly greased 6-quart slow cooker; top with chopped onion.
- Stir together chicken broth, salt, and pepper; pour over potatoes and onion. (Broth will not completely cover potatoes and onion.) Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Mash mixture with a potato masher; stir in half-and-half. Cover and cook on HIGH 20 more minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Ladle into bowls, and serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note