Liz's Spicy Ribs
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 223
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 560mg
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- 3 pounds country-style pork ribs, surface fat trimmed off
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 3 onions (6 oz. each), chopped
- 1 bell pepper (1/2 lb.), stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1 cup thick, chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Wipe off pork with a damp cloth. Pour oil into a 2-inch-deep, 12-inch frying pan or a 5- to 6-quart pan and set over high heat. When oil is hot, fill pan with a single layer of pork and brown well on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Lift out pork as browned, place in a bowl, and add more meat to pan. When all the meat is browned and in the bowl, discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
- 2. Add onions, bell pepper, and garlic to pan. Stir often until onions are lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes (including juices), green chilies, salsa, hot chili flakes, and pepper.
- 3. Return pork and accumulated juices to pan, pushing meat down into sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until pork is tender when pierced, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. If sauce begins to stick, stir in a little water.
- 4. With a slotted spoon, transfer pork to a wide bowl. Skim off and discard any fat from sauce. Pour sauce over meat. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This