- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons light molasses
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1 cup brown sugar, beating well. Add egg; beat until blended. Stir in molasses and lemon rind. Gradually stir in flour mixture until combined, stopping to scrape down sides. Cover and chill dough 2 hours.
Roll dough into 1/2" balls. Roll balls in turbinado sugar; place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Flatten to 1/4" thickness with a flat-bottomed glass.
Bake at 375° for 7 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.