Little Gem Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Photo: Sara Remington
Nancy Silverton's lovely salad, adapted from her Mozza Cookbook, features Little Gem lettuce, a smaller, sweeter variety of romaine. If you can't find it, use hearts of romaine instead.
More From Food & Wine
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 3 thin red onion slices, separated into rings
- 4 heads Little Gem lettuce
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the walnuts on a pie plate until golden, 12 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop the nuts. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the walnut oil and a pinch of salt. In a small bowl, combine the shallot, lemon juice and vinegar and season with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and season with pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash with the onion, lettuce, walnuts, pecorino and half of the dressing and serve. Reserve the remaining dressing for another use.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note