Little Cherry Pound Cakes
Test Kitchens Staffer Kelley Wilton adapted her great-grandmother's delicious pound cake into petite individual loaves for gift giving.
Yield: 7 mini pound cakes
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cherry Glaze
- Garnish: maraschino cherry halves
- Drain jar of cherries, discarding juice. Chop cherries, and set aside.
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating 1 minute. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in flavorings and 1/2 cup chopped cherries.
- Spoon batter into 7 greased and floured 5 3/4" x 3" mini loafpans. (We recommend greasing your pans with shortening for best results.)
- Bake at 300° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans, and place on wire racks set over wax paper. Drizzle Cherry Glaze over slightly warm cakes. Garnish, if desired.
- Refrigerate cakes to let glaze harden before wrapping. Wrap cakes individually in cellophane for gift giving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note