I add about 2 TB of red wine to the sauce and put the clam juice in before simmering about 20-30 minutes. I get the sauce going first, then while it's cooking make salad, get the pasta water heating, set the table, etc. That gives a much richer, thicker sauce than 4 minutes could. Otherwise, I follow this recipe as written, and boy is it good! The whole recipe serves me (one serving) and husband (three servings), so if you have hungry athletic types, you may want to double the recipe.
Linguine with Spicy Red Clam Sauce
Canned clams make this no-fuss linguine and sauce recipe supereasy. Of course, you can use fresh littleneck clams, if you prefer. Cook them for about five minutes or until the shells open, and discard any unopened shells. Use less crushed red pepper, or omit it if you prefer a milder sauce. Serve with garlic bread and a tossed green salad.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 292
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 15.5g
- Carbohydrate: 45.1g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 806mg
- Calcium: 47mg
- 1 (9-ounce) package fresh linguine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (6.5-ounce) cans minced clams, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes; cook 4 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in clams; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, basil, and oregano. Serve with pasta.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note