Linguine with Fava Greens, Shrimp, and Green Garlic
Not to worry—this huge amount of greens really does cook down. If you have access to fava flowers, they're a pretty garnish.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 445
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 385mg
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- 5 qts. lightly packed fava greens*, rinsed and spun dry
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- About 3/4 tsp. each kosher salt and pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup minced green garlic* (from about 4 heads, white and light green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 pound medium shelled and deveined shrimp (30 to 35 per lb.), with tails on
- 10 ounce linguine
- Fava flowers* (optional)
- 1. Heat a 12-in. frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir-fry one-third of fava leaves at a time with 2 tsp. oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper until greens wilt, 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; tent with foil.
- 2. Reduce heat under frying pan to medium-low. Add 3 tbsp. oil and stir in 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper, the green garlic, fennel seeds, and lemon zest. Cook, stirring often, until garlic is softened, 5 minutes. Add wine and boil over high heat until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add shrimp in a single layer and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3. Cook linguine as package directs. Drain, saving 1 cup water. Return pasta to pot and toss with shrimp mixture and remaining 1 tbsp. oil. Add fava leaves and toss, pulling apart with forks. Mix in pasta water if linguine seems dry, plus more salt and pepper if you like. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with fava flowers if you like.
- *Find fava greens (and sometimes their flowers) and green garlic at farmers' markets. If you can't find green garlic, use 2 tbsp. minced regular garlic plus 6 tbsp. green onions.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes