1. In a large covered pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and boil for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their liquid, the oregano and pepper. Crush the tomatoes against the side of the pan with a large spoon, discarding any tough stem ends. Boil the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes
3. Add the clams to the saucepan, cover and cook for about 5 minutes; as the clams open, transfer them to a bowl. Discard any that do not open. Stir 3/4 of the chopped parsley into the sauce and remove from the heat.
4. Add the salt to the boiling pasta water. When it returns to a boil, add the linguine and cook , stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes.
5. Shell 2 dozen of the clams, reserving 12 in their shells. Set the shelled and unshelled clams aside separately.
6. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the sauce and the shelled clams and toss well. Transfer to a large warmed bowl; garnish with the unshelled clams and the remaining parsley and serve at once.
Go to full version of