This has become our weekly spagetti recipe instead of using Prego out of the can. Our kids really love it. We use crushed tomatoes in place of diced. We add 2 Tablespoons of sugar (a must!) and 1/8 cup of red wine. We also substitute Italian Seasonings for the Oregano. It is quicker and cheaper than the store-bought sauces and it tastes better.
Linguine with Easy Meat Sauce
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
For picky eaters, try serving this easy meat sauce over whimsically shaped pasta, like bow ties, rotini, or wagon wheels.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 296
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 20.7g
- Carbohydrate: 43.6g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 530mg
- Calcium: 66mg
- 1 (9-ounce) package fresh linguine
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup prechopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
- 2. While pasta cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, garlic, oregano, and salt; cook 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 3 minutes or until thickened. Serve over pasta; top with cheese and parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes