I love these sweet and pucker tart pickles. I make them every so many years. Not hard but it does take three days diligence.
Lime Sweet Pickles (Grandma Ruth Manning)
This is my favorite grandma sweet pickles. They take 2 or 3 days to make. Best to make a big batch. Best to start a batch in early evening. They soak in lime water for 24 hours, then in cold water for 3 hours, and then 'overnight' in vinegar, sugar, spices. Then next morning - boil for 40 minutes and seal. I wash bottles in dishwasher, then keep them in a 225 degree oven while boiling the pickles. Don't soak in lime water more than 24 hours; the cucumbers start to dissolve and turn to mush.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 7 pound(s) pickling cucumbers slice into chunks
- 1 gallon(s) water
- 1 cup(s) pickling lime stir into water
- 10 can(s) sugar
- 1/2 gallon(s) vinegar mix with sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) celery seed add
- 1 teaspoon(s) whole cloves add
- 1 teaspoon(s) mixed pickling spices add
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt add
- Start in later afternoon or early evening.
- Slice cucumbers into chunks
- Mix water and lime in glass or crockery pot. NOT metal.
- Pour over cucumbers and soak 24 hours.
- Stir every so often until lime comes to top.
- Drain and rinse well.
- 2nd day late afternoon or early evening:
- Cover with cold water (add ice if can). Let stand for 3 hours. Drain. Set aside.
- Mix vinegar and sugar together.
- Add spices; celery seed, cloves, spices, salt. Mix well.
- Add cucumbers. Let sit overnight; cold if possible.
- 3rd day:
- Clean pint containers, rims in dishwasher. Use NEW lids.
- Check sizes match bottles.
- Prepare tray for 'steaming' bottles in oven. Temperature 225.
- Prepare bath for the rims and lids on the stove.
- Gloves, tongs, towels, timer prepare to manage HOT jars.
- I have granite counter tops, no hot jars on cold rock.
- Boil gently for 40 minutes. Stir every so often.Cover the pot; don't let the water boil away or there won't be enough liquid for the jars between the pickles.
- Liquid into jars, clean the rim, screw on the rims/lids, place on towels and cover them up. You will hear a 'pop' or 'click' when the lid seals shut. Doesn't seal? The rim wasn't clean, either try again or put in refrigerator and start eating.
- Marjorie Holderer
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MJ Holderer and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note