- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Thai basil leaves
- 5 cups water
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Thai chiles, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- Lime wedges (optional)
- calories 221
- fat 10.3 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- monofat 4.7 g
- polyfat 3.3 g
- protein 18.3 g
- carbohydrate 16.5 g
- fiber 3.3 g
- cholesterol 86 mg
- iron 2.6 mg
- sodium 565 mg
- calcium 82 mg
How to Make It
To prepare salad, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
Bring 5 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add shrimp to pan; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse shrimp under cold water; drain well. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise; add shrimp to sprouts mixture, tossing to combine.
To prepare dressing, combine sugar and next 4 ingredients (through chiles) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until sugar dissolves. Pour dressing over salad, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.