More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 56
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 0.0g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 77mg
- Carbohydrate: 14.6g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.2g
- 7 pounds (4-inch-long) cucumbers
- 1 cup pickling lime
- 6 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Cut cucumbers lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Combine cucumber slices, pickling lime, and water to cover in a nonaluminum stockpot; stir well. Cover and let stand at room temperature 12 hours.
- Drain cucumbers; rinse with cold water, and return to stockpot. Add fresh cold water to cover, and let stand 1 hour. Repeat procedure 2 times. Drain cucumbers, and return to stockpot.
- Combine vinegar and next 3 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers in stockpot; cover and let stand 6 hours or overnight.
- Bring cucumbers and vinegar mixture to a boil over medium heat; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring gently, 35 minutes.
- Pack cucumbers into hot, sterilized jars. Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers, filling to 1/2 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 5 minutes. Refrigerate pickles after opening.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note