Lillian's Beef Stew
Tapioca is used to thicken this comfort-food dish. If you don’t have any on hand, substitute an equal amount of flour.
"My mother made this for us when we were small children and now I make it for my own family. It’s a wonderful dinner to come home to on a cold day." —Nancy
- 2 pounds stew beef, cubed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 cups cocktail vegetable juice
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Arrange beef and vegetables in a 5-quart round slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients; pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high setting one hour; reduce heat to low setting and cook 7 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note