- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bottled marinara sauce, preferably no-sugar-added
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk or plain soy milk
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound whole-grain penne
- 1/4 cup vodka (inexpensive)
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- calories 299
- fat 4 g
- satfat 1 g
- monofat 2 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 11 g
- carbohydrate 49 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 4 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 409 mg
- calcium 76 mg
How to Make It
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt when simmering.
Warm marinara in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add milk, stirring until combined. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat; simmer until sauce reduces slightly. Add crushed red pepper.
Add penne to boiling water. Cook until almost done; add vodka to marinara mixture, and raise heat slightly. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
In a large bowl, toss pasta with sauce and Parmigiano-Reggiano, adding some reserved water to thin sauce, if needed. Garnish with parsley, and serve.