I made this last night for dinner. However, I took the advice of one of the ratings. I only used a teaspoon of crushed red pepper, and when I tasted it, it was still a little to spicy for my family's liking. So I added more marinara to the mix. It was perfect! Also, I used Skim milk because that is all we drink in our house. So I did not need the cup of leftover water. This was a fabulous meal that I received a lot of compliments for. I will definitely make this again! (Just without all the red pepper) :-)
Lighter Penne à la Vodka
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 299
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 409mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bottled marinara sauce, preferably no-sugar-added
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk or plain soy milk
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound whole-grain penne
- 1/4 cup vodka (inexpensive)
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt when simmering.
- 2. Warm marinara in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add milk, stirring until combined. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat; simmer until sauce reduces slightly. Add crushed red pepper.
- 3. Add penne to boiling water. Cook until almost done; add vodka to marinara mixture, and raise heat slightly. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
- 4. In a large bowl, toss pasta with sauce and Parmigiano-Reggiano, adding some reserved water to thin sauce, if needed. Garnish with parsley, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note