I made this last night for dinner. However, I took the advice of one of the ratings. I only used a teaspoon of crushed red pepper, and when I tasted it, it was still a little to spicy for my family's liking. So I added more marinara to the mix. It was perfect! Also, I used Skim milk because that is all we drink in our house. So I did not need the cup of leftover water. This was a fabulous meal that I received a lot of compliments for. I will definitely make this again! (Just without all the red pepper) :-)
Lighter Penne à la Vodka
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 299
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 409mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bottled marinara sauce, preferably no-sugar-added
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk or plain soy milk
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound whole-grain penne
- 1/4 cup vodka (inexpensive)
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt when simmering.
- 2. Warm marinara in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add milk, stirring until combined. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat; simmer until sauce reduces slightly. Add crushed red pepper.
- 3. Add penne to boiling water. Cook until almost done; add vodka to marinara mixture, and raise heat slightly. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
- 4. In a large bowl, toss pasta with sauce and Parmigiano-Reggiano, adding some reserved water to thin sauce, if needed. Garnish with parsley, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes