I followed recipe to the letter and the cake came out dense and heavy. I had to throw it away. Experienced bakers please help. I was careful not to over mix. I guess it's back to boxed cake mix for me... So sad as I made it for company.
Lightened Hummingbird Cake
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 407
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 78g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 184mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 cups plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups mashed banana (about 5 to 6)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coat 3 (9-inch) round cakepans with cooking spray; sprinkle 2 teaspoons flour evenly into pans, shaking to coat.
- Combine remaining 3 cups flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together eggs, applesauce, and oil; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in mashed banana, vanilla extract, and pineapple. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 23 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Orginia Hummingbird cake per slice: Calories 476 (45% from fat); Fat 24g (sat. 7.6); Chol 57mg; Sodium 191mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Lightened Hummingbird Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts