I followed recipe to the letter and the cake came out dense and heavy. I had to throw it away. Experienced bakers please help. I was careful not to over mix. I guess it's back to boxed cake mix for me... So sad as I made it for company.
Lightened Hummingbird Cake
We lowered the fat and calories by substituting applesauce for some of the oil, using less butter and sugar, fewer eggs, and substituting light for regular cream cheese.
Yield: 20 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 407
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 78g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 184mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 cups plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups mashed banana (about 5 to 6)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coat 3 (9-inch) round cakepans with cooking spray; sprinkle 2 teaspoons flour evenly into pans, shaking to coat.
- Combine remaining 3 cups flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together eggs, applesauce, and oil; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in mashed banana, vanilla extract, and pineapple. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 23 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Orginia Hummingbird cake per slice: Calories 476 (45% from fat); Fat 24g (sat. 7.6); Chol 57mg; Sodium 191mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Lightened Hummingbird Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts