Lightened Creamed Turnip Greens
Don't miss this Southern spin on a steak house favorite.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16-oz.) bag frozen turnip greens, thawed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 5 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- Salt to taste
- Garnish: freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in turnip greens, chicken broth, and, if desired, red pepper; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- 2. Sprinkle turnip green mixture with flour, and sauté 2 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add cream cheese, stirring until melted. Season with salt to taste. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables