Lightened Creamed Turnip Greens
Don't miss this Southern spin on a steak house favorite.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16-oz.) bag frozen turnip greens, thawed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 5 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- Salt to taste
- Garnish: freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in turnip greens, chicken broth, and, if desired, red pepper; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- 2. Sprinkle turnip green mixture with flour, and sauté 2 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add cream cheese, stirring until melted. Season with salt to taste. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note