- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1/2 pound ground round
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans no-salt-added Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 10 ounce medium egg noodles, uncooked
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- calories 368
- caloriesfromfat 13 %
- fat 5.4 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 20.7 g
- carbohydrate 59.8 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 82 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 76 mg
- calcium 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until tender. Add ground round, and cook until beef is browned, stirring until it crumbles. Drain well.
Add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients to beef mixture in skillet; stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While sauce simmers, cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Place 1 cup noodles on each of 5 individual serving plates. Stir parsley into tomato sauce; spoon evenly over noodles.
Keep this sauce handy in the freezer. If you cook regularly for two, freeze the sauce in 2 1/2-cup portions, and you'll have two meals on hand. Or double the recipe to make 10 cups of sauce, and freeze it in 5-cup portions in heavy-duty, zip-top plastic freezer bags.