This was a disappointment. While easy to make, the flavor was bland, and the appearance not exciting. It might have been better as a frozen dessert with an ice cream frosting.
Light 'n' Creamy Chocolate Cake Roll
This delightful chocolate cake roll won second place in a professional competition. The creator of the recipe studied culinary arts at the University of Akron and spent three years working in Italy as a private chef.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 392
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 7.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Carbohydrate: 66.3g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 377mg
- Calcium: 283mg
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (such as Hershey's)
- 1 (16-ounce) package angel food cake mix (such as Duncan Hines)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 (1-ounce) bars unsweetened baking chocolate (such as Hershey's)
- 1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa (such as Hershey's)
- Chocolate curls (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare the cake, combine 3 tablespoons cocoa and cake mix in a large bowl. Prepare the cake mix with added cocoa according to package directions. Coat a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray; line bottom with wax paper. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool the cake in pan 5 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan, and turn out onto a dish towel dusted with 1/2 cup powdered sugar; carefully peel off wax paper. Cool the cake 1 minute. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Place, seam side down, on a wire rack, and cool completely (about 15 minutes).
- To prepare the filling, place baking chocolate in a glass bowl; microwave at high 2 minutes or until almost melted, stirring after 1 minute. Cool. Place the cream cheese in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually add the melted chocolate and 1 cup powdered sugar, beating mixture well (mixture will be very thick). Gently stir 1/2 cup whipped topping into the filling, and gently fold in the remaining whipped topping.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread filling over the cake, leaving a 1/2-inch border around outside edges. Re-roll cake, and place, seam side down, on a platter. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cocoa. Cut the cake into 10 slices; garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note