This is my first time making French onion soup, but I have been fortunate enough to eat it in France before. I used beef broth instead of chicken broth because it is more of a traditional flavor. The soup turned out very tasty and surprisingly filling. It was served with chicken tenders wrapped in prosciutto which was a nice contrast to the dish. Next time I would do an herb marinated chicken instead to add a flavor of freshness to the meal. I will use this recipe again.
Light French Onion Soup
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 50 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups soup and 2 toasts)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 392mg
- Calcium: 331mg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large thinly sliced Spanish onions
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4–8 (3/4-inch) slices French baguette
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Heat butter and olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt. Cover; cook 5 minutes. Uncover; add sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, 25 minutes or until onions are golden. Add flour, and reduce heat to medium-low; cook 1–2 minutes. Add sherry, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 1–2 minutes or until slightly reduced. Transfer to a saucepan. Add stock and pepper. Boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add soy sauce.
- 2. Place bread slices on a baking sheet; bake 7 minutes per side or until golden.
- 3. Heat broiler. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top with 1–2 bread slices and 2 slices Gruyère. Broil 1–2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews