I've been making this casserole for over 10 years (Christmas with SL -2002) and it is always a hit with family and friends. This is also my go-to recipe when our church outreach program asks for meals and also for any other time when people need a meal - new baby/ sick family member.
Leslie's Favorite Chicken-and-Wild Rice Casserole
More From Oxmoor House
- 2 (6.2-ounce) packages fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 (8-ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs (homemade)
- 1 (2.25-ounce) package sliced almonds, toasted
- Prepare rice mixes according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add celery and onion. Sauté 10 minutes or until tender.
- Combine water chestnuts, cooked rice, celery and onion, chicken, 3 cups cheese, and next 5 ingredients in a very large bowl.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 15" x 10" baking dish or a 4-quart baking dish. Top casserole with breadcrumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and almonds; bake 5 more minutes.
- Note: You can divide this casserole evenly between 2 (11" x 7") baking dishes. Bake as directed above, or freeze casserole up to 1 month. Remove from freezer, and let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover casserole, and bake 55 more minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and almonds; bake 5 more minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This