- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2/3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Lime wedges (optional)
- calories 319
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- fat 7.8 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- monofat 5.1 g
- polyfat 1.1 g
- protein 17 g
- carbohydrate 49.3 g
- fiber 10.2 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 5.7 mg
- sodium 305 mg
- calcium 50 mg
How to Make It
Combine boiling water and bulgur in a large bowl; stir well. Let stand 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Place the lentils in a large saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above lentils, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well; add to bulgur, and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, bell peppers, and onion, and saute 7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add vegetables to bulgur mixture.
Combine remaining oil, orange rind, orange juice, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; stir well. Add to bulgur mixture; toss gently. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.