Loved this! I was a little unsure about it but being that we were on a vegetarian kick, I tried it. It was not hard to make and was very tasty! (Even my 1-y-o loved it!) served it with rice and salad. Definitely worth trying.
Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Buffy Hargett
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 16 (7-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce with roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon green taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Toppings: sour cream, guacamole
- Simmer lentils in 4 cups water in a saucepan over medium heat 20 minutes or until tender; drain, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in lentils and cheese. Spoon mixture evenly down center of each tortilla, and roll up. Place in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bring 3/4 cup reserved liquid, tomato sauce, cumin, and taco sauce to a boil in a saucepan. Stir together remaining 1/4 cup reserved liquid and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into sauce mixture, and cook over medium heat, stirring often, 10 minutes. Pour over burritos.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note