Delicious! A bit time consuming, but the recipe tells you that up front. Today was the first time I tried this recipe, but I will make them again. I might double the batch and freeze the extras. The salsa is the perfect complement to the no-bun burger..
Lentil-Barley Burgers with Fiery Fruit Salsa
Use leftover cooked pearl barley with lentils, veggies, and seasonings for a hearty main-dish burger sans the bun. Fruit salsa adds bright flavors. Serve with lime wedges for added zest.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 12.8g
- Carbohydrate: 39.2g
- Fiber: 9.5g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 539mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pineapple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mango
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatillo
- 1/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup cooked pearl barley
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1. To prepare salsa, combine first 6 ingredients; cover and refrigerate.
- 2. To prepare burgers, combine 1 1/2 cups water and lentils in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain. Place half of lentils in a large bowl. Place remaining lentils in a food processor; process until smooth. Add processed lentils to whole lentils in bowl.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and carrot; sauté 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add onion mixture to lentils. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, barley, and next 5 ingredients (through egg); stir well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- 4. Divide mixture into 8 portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and 4 patties. Serve with salsa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This