I used turkey sausage bc the beautiful chicken sausage that I bought (I realized as I went to cook it) was pre-cooked *grr* I used 2tb toasted pine nuts and fresh basil, about a quarter cup meat tomato sauce and the capers. Even with those modifications it came out great. I used long grain brown rice, and skipped the lentils bc my husband hates them. I made this for company and it was a big hit, served with steamed broccoli as a previous poster did, ciabatta garlic bread and a salad. Very easy, very tasty :D
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 292
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 19.2g
- Carbohydrate: 33.7g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 541mg
- Calcium: 211mg
- 3 red bell peppers
- 3 yellow bell peppers
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces basil, pine nut, and chicken sausage, chopped (such as Gerhard's)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Cut bell peppers in half, keeping stems intact. Discard seeds and membranes. Cook bell peppers in boiling water 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Combine 2 cups water, lentils, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice and onion. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Set aside. Place sausage in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; saute until browned.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine lentils, rice mixture, sausage, mozzarella, and remaining ingredients except Parmesan in a large bowl. Divide lentil mixture evenly among bell peppers; sprinkle with Parmesan. Place stuffed peppers in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish; cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This