- 3 red bell peppers
- 3 yellow bell peppers
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces basil, pine nut, and chicken sausage, chopped (such as Gerhard's)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- calories 292
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 9.7 g
- satfat 4.2 g
- monofat 2.4 g
- polyfat 2.7 g
- protein 19.2 g
- carbohydrate 33.7 g
- fiber 4.3 g
- cholesterol 48 mg
- iron 4 mg
- sodium 541 mg
- calcium 211 mg
How to Make It
Cut bell peppers in half, keeping stems intact. Discard seeds and membranes. Cook bell peppers in boiling water 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
Combine 2 cups water, lentils, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice and onion. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Set aside. Place sausage in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; saute until browned.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine lentils, rice mixture, sausage, mozzarella, and remaining ingredients except Parmesan in a large bowl. Divide lentil mixture evenly among bell peppers; sprinkle with Parmesan. Place stuffed peppers in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish; cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.